In the 7th Canto of Srimad Bhagavatam (7.5.23-24), Prahlada Maharaj speaks about the 9 angas (process) of bhakti (devotion).
śravaṇaṁ kīrtanaṁ viṣṇoḥ
arcanaṁ vandanaṁ dāsyaṁ
- Hearing (sravanam): Listening about glories and passtimes of Lord from bonafide Premi Rasika Acharyas. Maharaja Parikshit in spite of being a king chose to dedicate the last 7 days of his life to hear Srimad Bhagavatam from Sukadeva Goswami.
- Chanting (kirtanam): Chanting can be either the nama sankirtan, nama japa or discussing Krishna’s passtimes with Premi Rasika Vaishnavas. Sukadeva Goswami spoke the Srimad Bhagavatam to Maharaja Pariksit. This is also chanting. Sitting in kirtan is also chanting. Doing nama-japa on beads is also chanting.
- Remembering (visnu smaranam): Constant meditation on the Supreme Personality of Godhead Sri Krishna irrespective of any circumstance. Prahlada Maharaj was always remembering the Lord in spite of the resistance of his demon-father Hiranyakashyapu at all times.
- Serving the Lotus Feet of the Lord (pada sevanam): Laxmi Ji, the Goddess of Fortune finds bliss in always serving the Lotus Feet of Lord.
- Deity Worship (arcanam): The beautiful example is of Maharaja Prthu who used all of his royal opulence and possessions to serve the deities of the Lord.
- Praying (vandanam): Praying to Krishna for direction. The example is of Akura who offered prayers to Krsna when he was taking Him from Vrindavan to Mathura.
- Executing Orders (dasyam): Hanuman Ji being the topmost devotee of Lord Rama was always ready for executing all orders, no matter whatever the hurdles and difficulties in the path.
- Serving as Friend (sakhyam): Krishna reciprocated the friendship with Arjuna by offering to be his chariot driver!
- Full surrender (atma nivedanam): Nothing pleases the Lord more than complete surrender. Bali Maharaj was a king and he went against the orders of his spiritual master to give his entire kingdom and possessions to Lord Vamanadeva when he understood that Lord Vamanadeva was none other Supreme Personality of Godhead Sri Krishna.
Read this confidential secret that will help sincere seekers dive in their spiritual life exponentially.
Jai Jai Shri Radhe!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Last Updated on